Pagefile and Hibernation file

Post here if you want to request a features that has not been implemented yet
TiCPU

Pagefile and Hibernation file

Post by TiCPU » Fri May 22, 2009 6:52 pm

Would it be possible to add an option to ignore pagefile.sys and hiberfil.sys while saving the FS?
Or would it be included if I added a patch with/without an option (mandatory or not) ?

EDIT: Just though about that, instead of copying the whole file, it could just save the filename, attr, and everything except the $data attribute and restore it as a file filled with zeroes.

EDIT2: First backup with FS Archiver, now I notice it could be useful to exclude System Volume Information, I guess this should be included it a script I'll make to archive computers, to simply delete it via ntfs-3g.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue May 26, 2009 3:57 pm

Yes that's an interesting idea, I plan to add an option called --exclude later that works like with rsync. You will just have to exclude these two useless files.

mydadisalive

Re: Pagefile and Hibernation file

Post by mydadisalive » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:49 am

Is there a --exclude option yet?
I'm trying to backup /var but I want to exclude certain files.
How do I do that?

Best,
Avi.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:18 pm

This option has not been implemented yet, but it's in the first things to do.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:24 pm

This option has just been implemented in fsarchiver-0.6.3_beta4

Code: Select all

fsarchiver savefs /path/to/myarchive.fsa /dev/sda1 /dev/sda2 -e pagefile.sys -e '*.tmp' -e /absolute-path/to/something
or

fsarchiver savefs /path/to/myarchive.fsa /dev/sda1 /dev/sda2 --exclude=pagefile.sys --exclude='*.tmp' --exclude=/absolute-path/to/something
This version is part of SystemRescueCd-1.3.4-beta3 with an alternative path (/usr/sbin/fsarchiver-0.6.3_beta4)

mydadisalive

Post by mydadisalive » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:36 am

This is great news!

I developed an ImageBackup utility which is based on fsarchiver version 0.5.6 (2009-05-19).
I use it to backup ext3 filesystems.

Will it be safe for me to use the beta version with the --exclude flag?
When will you release a non-beta version that contains the --exclude flag?

Best,
Avichay.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:44 pm

Hi,

Why are you still using 0.5.6 ? In the last few months I have been focused on fixes only so it really makes sense to update to fsarchiver-0.6.2. What is your backup program ?

I have done initial tests for fsarchiver-0.6.3-beta, and I have found problem that I fixed in 0.6.3-beta6. There can still be problems anyway, I will have to do more tests before the final 0.6.3. I have no planned date for the final release yet. It will also depend on other problems that can be reported and fixed.

You can contribute by testing the most recent 0.6.3-beta. It's important to be sure that there is no data losses or crashes. You can make tests in many conditions (partition mounted read-write, root filesystem or a running linux, cold backup, splitting, various options, ...). One good method to test is that:
1) take two partition: one original, one for the test
2) backup the source partition
3) restore to the second partition
4) mount both partitions (in read-only mode if possible)
5) run rsync to check that it cannot find any difference:

rsync -axHAX --delete /mnt/part1/ /mnt/part2/ -Pn
With -n rsync won't make any modification. It will just report the differences between the two disks.

Also it's important to understand how --exclude is implemented:
1) "--exclude=xxx" can match both files and directories (including links, special files, ...)
2) when "--exclude=xxx" matches a directory, all its files/subdirs are ignored
3) "--exclude=sbin" will exclude both /sbin, /usr/sbin, /usr/local/sbin, ...
4) "--exclude=/sbin" will exclude only /sbin
5) shell asterisks can be used: "--exclude='*.[ch]" will exclude "*.c" and "*.h"
6) "--exclude=xxx" can be used during "restfs" as well as "savefs"