restfs -v command = "mkfs.ntfs returned 1"... and no more

Post here if you found a bug or something really not expected in the program
mantis13

restfs -v command = "mkfs.ntfs returned 1"... and no more

Post by mantis13 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:57 am

I am running fsarchiver from kubuntu 11.10 32 bit
ahead of time, just be warned I am a total beginner. With that said, here is my command and the result:

my_sign_in_name:~$ sudo fsarchiver restfs -v /media/itunes_and_data/mkdata32212.fsa id=0,dest=/dev/sdc3
============= extracting filesystem 0 =============
executing [mkfs.ntfs]...
command [mkfs.ntfs] returned 1

... and nothing else happens (???)

I have savefs and restfs without issue before, and am not sure what the difference is now. One thing possibly worth mentioning is that the archive is nearly as large as the source filesystem. It was made with j4 (quad core laptop), but no stated -z value (so presumably -z3).
The original source drive has been reformatted. I am wondering about trying to recover (the info from source) with something like testdisk, as very little of the drive has been written over, but obviously I'd like to not loose any data.

I have tried restore from systemrescuecd with a similar result, except that is says 'segmention error' as well.

Thank you very much for any help that you can give.

Below is the same (from kubuntu), but with -vvvv

my_sign_in_name:~$ sudo fsarchiver restfs -vvvv /media/itunes_and_data/mkdata32212.fsa id=0,dest=/dev/sdc3
fsarchiver.c#274,process_cmdline(): Files smaller than 65536 will be packed with other small files
Detected fileformat=2 in archive /media/itunes_and_data/mkdata32212.fsa
Current fsarchiver version: 0.6.12.0
Minimum fsarchiver version for that archive: 0.6.4.0
============= extracting filesystem 0 =============
Current fsarchiver version: 0.6.12.0
Minimum fsarchiver version for that filesystem: 0.6.4.0
filesys.c#216,generic_get_mntinfo(): mount entry: col_dev=[rootfs] col_mnt=[/] col_fs=[rootfs] col_opt=[rw]
filesys.c#216,generic_get_mntinfo(): mount entry: col_dev=[sysfs] col_mnt=[/sys] col_fs=[sysfs] col_opt=[rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime]
filesys.c#216,generic_get_mntinfo(): mount entry: col_dev=[proc] col_mnt=[/proc] col_fs=[proc] col_opt=[rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime]
filesys.c#216,generic_get_mntinfo(): mount entry: col_dev=[udev] col_mnt=[/dev] col_fs=[devtmpfs] col_opt=[rw,relatime,size=1755296k,nr_inodes=209215,mode=755]
filesys.c#216,generic_get_mntinfo(): mount entry: col_dev=[devpts] col_mnt=[/dev/pts] col_fs=[devpts] col_opt=[rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,gid=5,mode=620,ptmxmode=000]
filesys.c#216,generic_get_mntinfo(): mount entry: col_dev=[tmpfs] col_mnt=[/run] col_fs=[tmpfs] col_opt=[rw,nosuid,relatime,size=706076k,mode=755]
filesys.c#216,generic_get_mntinfo(): mount entry: col_dev=[fusectl] col_mnt=[/sys/fs/fuse/connections] col_fs=[fusectl] col_opt=[rw,relatime]
filesys.c#216,generic_get_mntinfo(): mount entry: col_dev=[/dev/disk/by-uuid/b0d51e44-6e32-493b-843b-fb0e7c24e9fc] col_mnt=[/] col_fs=[ext4] col_opt=[rw,relatime,errors=remount-ro,user_xattr,acl,barrier=1,data=ordered]
filesys.c#216,generic_get_mntinfo(): mount entry: col_dev=[none] col_mnt=[/sys/kernel/debug] col_fs=[debugfs] col_opt=[rw,relatime]
filesys.c#216,generic_get_mntinfo(): mount entry: col_dev=[none] col_mnt=[/sys/kernel/security] col_fs=[securityfs] col_opt=[rw,relatime]
filesys.c#216,generic_get_mntinfo(): mount entry: col_dev=[none] col_mnt=[/run/lock] col_fs=[tmpfs] col_opt=[rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,size=5120k]
filesys.c#216,generic_get_mntinfo(): mount entry: col_dev=[none] col_mnt=[/run/shm] col_fs=[tmpfs] col_opt=[rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime]
filesys.c#216,generic_get_mntinfo(): mount entry: col_dev=[/dev/sda7] col_mnt=[/home] col_fs=[ext4] col_opt=[rw,relatime,user_xattr,acl,barrier=1,data=ordered]
filesys.c#216,generic_get_mntinfo(): mount entry: col_dev=[/dev/sda8] col_mnt=[/GNUWIN] col_fs=[fuseblk] col_opt=[rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,user_id=0,group_id=0,default_permissions,allow_other,blksize=4096]
filesys.c#216,generic_get_mntinfo(): mount entry: col_dev=[/dev/sdb2] col_mnt=[/media/itunes_and_data] col_fs=[ext4] col_opt=[rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,user_xattr,barrier=1,data=ordered]
filesystem=[ntfs]
fsbytestotal=[365.76 GB]
fsbytesused=[121.19 GB]
common.c#324,exec_command(): argv[0]=[mkfs.ntfs]
getpathtoprog(mkfs.ntfs)=[/sbin/mkfs.ntfs]
executing [mkfs.ntfs]...
command [mkfs.ntfs] returned 1

mantis13

Re: restfs -v command = "mkfs.ntfs returned 1"... and no mor

Post by mantis13 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:03 pm

further detail: the archive fills 100% (or so filelight says) of it's partition. I do not recall seeing an 'out of memory' error when the archive was made. The source drive had 120 GB used. The archive completion report looked all good to me, ie. zero errors.

If the archive did not complete succesfully is there a way to recover the info that it did save, as that should be roughly 99% of the origional?

here is the archinfo report:
my_sign_in_name:~$ fsarchiver archinfo /media/itunes_and_data/mkdata32212.fsa
====================== archive information ======================
Archive type: filesystems
Filesystems count: 1
Archive id: 4f66f723
Archive file format: FsArCh_002
Archive created with: 0.6.12
Archive creation date: 2012-03-23_05-56-22
Archive label: <none>
Minimum fsarchiver version: 0.6.4.0
Compression level: 3 (gzip level 6)
Encryption algorithm: none

===================== filesystem information ====================
Filesystem id in archive: 0
Filesystem format: ntfs
Filesystem label: Mike's Data Storage
Filesystem uuid: C85C4B2B5C4B139A
Original device: /dev/sdb1
Original filesystem size: 365.76 GB (392731389952 bytes)
Space used in filesystem: 121.19 GB (130124886016 bytes)