Long delay when restoring ext4

Post here if you found a bug or something really not expected in the program
floor9

Long delay when restoring ext4

Post by floor9 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:25 pm

I'm currently restoring a tiny ext4 image of around 130MB to a 2GB partition via System Rescue CD's 64-bit "default" kernel. I'm restoring from an external USB 2.0 HD to my internal 5400-RPM SATA HD. When it finishes, there is a long delay of about 10-15 minutes while nothing seems to happen. During this time the external HD's light is off, but the internal HD's light is constantly on. Top indicates nothing is happening, even showing the fsarchiver threads as idle.

The last line is [00][100%][REGFILEM] /sbin/crda

Note that my much-larger 10GB NTFS image (to a 100GB partition on the same drive) restored considerably faster.

My question: When fsarchiver prints a progress line in -v mode, does this indicate that it has *completed* that file, or that it is *starting* that file? Is this delay intentional (perhaps it's flushing out a blank journal)?

admin
Site Admin

Re: Long delay when restoring ext4

Post by admin » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:30 am

The percentage is updated before the file is copied, which is not ideal with large files. Can you see something interesting in system logs at the end ? What happens when you run in verbose mode (-vvv) ? I suspect it may hang at the sync.

It would be interesting to see what happens if you create the filesystem manually (with the same options in mkfs), if you use tar to extract files and if you run sync at the end.

Dukers

Re: Long delay when restoring ext4

Post by Dukers » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:17 pm