Acronis vs. FSarchiver?

Please ask questions here if you are not familiar with fsarchiver
jpinson

Acronis vs. FSarchiver?

Post by jpinson » Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:47 am

I have a dual booting computer with Windows XP Pro and Ubuntu 9.04 Desktop Linux.
On my windows part, I have essentially what amounts to root, home, and swap partitions.
On my Linux side I have /, /home, and swap partitions.

I recently purchased Acronis True Image Echo Workstation.
>>>>I will tell you all what I intend to do with the software and I basically want to know if fsarchiver can do the same thing.

What I want to do:
I want to clone my entire system and convert the Windows part of my image into a virtual machine image.
Then, I want to restore my backed up Linux image accross my entire HDD to make my computer a single-boot computer.
After this, I hope to install the Windows image as a Virtual Machine within Linux using either KVM or VMware.
I also want to ability to continually back up this new system, and have the ability to later convert the Windows VM back to a full booting image.

I feel confident I can do this with Acronis, but after reading about FSarchiver, I'm wondering if I can do the same thing with FSarchiver for free?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Acronis vs. FSarchiver?

Post by admin » Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:59 pm

fsarchiver can do that sort of things. But:
1) The windows support may not be very stable yet. It needs more testing.
2) With both acronis and fsarchiver cloning windows to a different hardware may not work (except with Acronis Universal-Restore)