decompress with restfs

Please ask questions here if you are not familiar with fsarchiver
wando

decompress with restfs

Post by wando » Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:39 pm

Why is it that certain uncompress file "restfs" .fsa in 10 minutes, and that same file on the same hardware profile takes about 20 minutes?

admin
Site Admin

Re: decompress with restfs

Post by admin » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:50 pm

The performances depends on many things:
* How many compression/decompression threads there are (-j2, -j3, -j4, ...) useful on multi-cores cpus
* What other applications are using resources on a computer (disk, cpu)
* On what sort of filesystem the archive is stored (filesystems with extents are faster than ext3 for large files)

Using dstat you can see what the bottleneck is (in general it will be either CPU or Disk) and then you have to compare this specif resource on both machines.

wando

Post by wando » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:58 pm

first of all thank you for the dedication and attention you have for the project and we usuario final.

I speak to you then check the result.
Thanks !!!!!

wando

Post by wando » Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:46 am

Sorry I was not clear with my question, but I'll try to be.
* It is the first decompression is running in 10 minutes after unpacking restart the machine and uncompress the same file on the same machine and even HD, it takes 20 minutes.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:31 pm

As I said before many things may have an impact on the speed. You have to identify what the bottleneck is: disk, cpu or network. You can use dstat for that. Then you will have to see if the resources which is 100% busy is also used by other processes.

wando

Post by wando » Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:18 pm

Actually did not know dstates, I did some research on the net and I found that is umna very precious tool for those working in IT.

I've also bleaching the bottleneck is in HD.

As I said already I am grateful for the care, attention and dedication which has been dedicated to this wonderful project.

Thank you.