problem with fakeraid?

Please ask questions here if you are not familiar with fsarchiver
skuda

problem with fakeraid?

Post by skuda » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:26 pm

Hello,
i have been trying make work fsarchiver between two machines with a lsi fakeraid controller, the devices are correctly detected and mapped with dmraid in the last stable of systemrescue (1.2.1)

I installed Windows XP in the first machine yesterday, the second machine was completely new with exactly the same hardware, so i have replicated the first 512 bytes of the fakeraid to the new fakeraid to get the same partitions without any problem.

After i have created the file without any error or warning in the post-operation information screen i have restored on the destination machine without errors too but after reboot it doesnt boot, i have tried three times with different errors every time (black screen, "ctrl-alt-del for reboot" and "disk error").

I have tested after with ntfsclone and rebooted without problems, it is possible the problem be between fsarchiver and the fakeraid? it is my first time with fsarchiver but after read the quickstart not seems very difficult, i have checked that the first partition was primary and have the bootable flag (anyway i have copied with dd the mbr from the original machine and restore ntfsclone in the first partition without change to the mbr has rebooted fine windows xp)

Any ideas? I would like to begin to use fsarchiver because for me seems to a better design, i will not use many times with fakeraid though but if it is a bug i would like to help if possible.

Regards,
Miguel Angel.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:21 pm

fsarchiver does not know anything about fakeraid. It's just working at the block device level, so it just puts a filesystem on the block device offered by the linux kernel.

You say that you have created the fakeraid block device on the destination computer first, and then you used fsarchive to populate this device, so it looks good to me.

Can you say more about the errors you get ?

skuda

Post by skuda » Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:19 pm

Well i cant say much more about the errors because i get no errors to read.

The backup and restore with fsarchiver was fine (no warnings, no errors, no problem), the filesystem have no compression and not encrypted files and was very new (1 day of life hehe), i could mount the restored filesystem with ntfs-3g and see the files correctly, boot.ini was the same because the partitions was exactly the same that the source machine, but after try to reboot i get a different problem booting windows xp any time i tried to do the restore (detailed in first post), i tried to create a new boot sector with ms-sys (only to test because with dd the first time i had copied the correct from the source machine) but still no luck.

Later i tested do the same partition backup and restore with ntfsclone and it worked for the first time, maybe the problem it is not in fsarchiver but in ntfs-3g?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:29 pm

Can't you get more details in you boot in safe mode (F5) ? And then maybe you can see what's in the system logs (even viewer) ?

skuda

Post by skuda » Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:38 pm

I have no opportunity to boot in safe mode because the problem was before the first stages of boot, i get the typical errors that block any recovery without a boot cd, "A disk read error occurred Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart" or black screen forever just after bios post, i could try to read the event viewer from a boot cd but i have dont have here the machines, maybe tomorrow i could try other time and read the event viewer, i will post here the results.

skuda

Post by skuda » Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:53 pm

I have been testing today, i have had to send the computers to an office after test this so i can not test anything more :(

I will explain all the steps i have done, maybe i am doing anything wrong.

1) In the source computer i have backed up to an sshfs folder.

Code: Select all

fsarchiver savefs sshfs/copia_origen.fsa /dev/mapper/ddf1_4c53492020202020808627c300000000378c7f6d00000a281 -j4
Statistics for filesystem 0
* files successfully processed:....regfiles=35260, directories=3652, symlinks=6, hardlinks=0, specials=0
* files with errors:...............regfiles=0, directories=0, symlinks=0, hardlinks=0, specials=0
2) In the destination computer i have restored from an sshfs folder with the same remote folder mounted.

Code: Select all

fsarchiver restfs sshfs/copia_origen.fsa id=0,dest=/dev/mapper/ddf1_4c53492020202020808627c300000000378cc21000000a281 -j4
Statistics for filesystem 0
* files successfully processed:....regfiles=35260, directories=3652, symlinks=6, hardlinks=0, specials=0
* files with errors:...............regfiles=0, directories=0, symlinks=0, hardlinks=0, specials=0
3) after that rebooted the destination computer and get this error on boot: "BOOTMGR IS MISSING PRESS CTRL + ALT + DEL TO RESTART".

4) i have tried with the windows xp recovery console with "fixmbr" and "fixboot", after that i get the cursor blinking in the top left corner on boot.

5) i have tried with the windows xp recover console an "chkdsk /r c:", chkdsk tells me that it have repaired problems (no more info), after that still the same cursor blinking in the same corner :).

6) i rebooted with systemrescue and try to read the event logs with the utility grokevt but i dont know if it is because it is the first time i have used it i cant get it to read the event logs correctly, anyway i dont think that in this very early boot stage i will read anything in the event logs, either it is possible to try F5 or F8 to make a safe boot.

7) i have backed up and restored the same partition with ntfsclone and rebooted without problem.

Sorry for no be of more help :(