Support pipes (stdin / stdout) in the future ?

Please ask questions here if you are not familiar with fsarchiver
stevenshiau

Support pipes (stdin / stdout) in the future ?

Post by stevenshiau » Mon May 11, 2009 4:32 am

Fdupoux,
fsarchiver is really a nice tool. Especially it can save or restore to smaller or larger partition. Thanks for developing this new backup tool.
Now, please allow me to ask, although you mentioned in the previous posts, is there any plan to add pipes (stdin / stdout) function in the future ?
Thanks.

Steven.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon May 11, 2009 7:01 am

Hi Steven, during the development I had that in mind. Unfortunately I had to use lseek() at various places in the code to manage problems and to allow working on corrupt archives. I have been trying to avoid that and to make these special access looking like sequential access by using a buffer but there were other problems.

I thought pipes were no absolutely necessary since compression and encryption have been managed inside the program. For which use do you need pipes ? If it's about networking support, maybe it will be necessary to write a specific code to do that but it will take more time.

stevenshiau

Post by stevenshiau » Mon May 11, 2009 7:08 am

Hi Fdupoux,
Thanks for your quick answer. For pipes, it's because by doing this, we can do multicast clone by fsarchiver with udpcast. We have been using partimage with udpcast in Clonezilla SE to do multicast clone for a long time. Without pipes, this can not be done.
Thanks for your explanation. Look forward to seeing the future release of fsarchiver.

Steven.