fsarchiver over the network

Please ask questions here if you are not familiar with fsarchiver
onymus

fsarchiver over the network

Post by onymus » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:46 pm

Is it possible to use fsarchiver to save a partition over the network with a tool like netcat or ssh ? If no, is that feature planned ?
Thanks for your anwser.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:45 pm

It's not possible to use pipes (stdin / stdout) instead of a normal file names. It was necessary to seek inside the archive file to be able to provide reliability (ability to restore an archive which has corrupt blocks for instance). You will have to use nfs /samba. You can also mount through ssh using ssh-filesystem if you can just use a single tcp connection to the storage box: http://fuse.sourceforge.net/sshfs.html

mnemonic

Post by mnemonic » Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:04 pm

Hi all,
hi fdupoux,

I just stumbled upon fsarchiver and wondered whether it would be possible to pipe data to and from fsarchiver.
Unfortunately the question to this answer has already been given, but I would like to know a bit more about that issue.
fdupoux wrote:It was necessary to seek inside the archive file to be able to provide reliability (ability to restore an archive which has corrupt blocks for instance).
Would it be possible to disable such behaviour (like error checking) and have fsarchiver just process an archive (created by fsarchiver) as input?

I'm asking because I would like to use fsarchiver together with udpcast which is kind of state-of-the-art of opensource multicast image transmission.
When imaging a lot of clients, it is not that bright to use a central server which is accessed via NFS/SAMBA/etc. because it would take ages for all the clients to complete.
Unfortunately udpcast doesn't know anything about the transmitted image like filesystem and stuff which makes imagefiles usually pretty big even if there is a lot of free space on the filesystem, but it knows how to get data safely and error free to a lot of clients. On the other hand fsarchiver knows how to efficiently store a filesystem (but has no clue about network), so a crossbreed between fsarchiver and udpcast would be something like the holy grail of imaging.

I'm looking forward to your reply.

Regards

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:03 pm

The ideal would be to write a network/multicast support for fsarchiver so that it does everything well. But it's not going to be developed soon unfortunately. I don't really like to idea of disabling the corrupted data management because it introduces more complexity, but it would be possible.