status of jfs support

Please ask questions here if you are not familiar with fsarchiver
frindly

status of jfs support

Post by frindly » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:56 am

hi,
is there a jfs support in working, or will fsarchiver work default with this filesystems?
is jfs still a good file system?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:27 am

All the linux filesystems are now supported, with at least their basic attributes (preservation for label, uuid). Their support will be improved anyway to support advanced filesystem properties, especially on ext3/ext4.

I don't see any reason to use jfs: I don't know anything that jfs does really better than other filesystems.

frindly

Post by frindly » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:40 am

interesting question... :D
well ext3 is in several benchmarks i see slower than other file systems. i think it is because it is old from design. newer filesystems use b-trees and extends. yes, it is difficult to compare. but on my pc ext3 seems to be slower. than reiserfs is a way, but this code dead, neary nobody works on it. i take a look on xfs. with enough ram, it should be faster. but un my system i try it, and it seems to be slower than any other file system. copy some files (like the evolution files) takes much longer time.
and i take a look on jfs. it is faster than xfs on my system, and (this is of course dificult to say) faster than ext3. i read and google a little over it, and no one does have serious problems with jfs. it exist, and seem to work good and stable. in this way, an interesting filesystem.
yes, we spoke about reiserfs in the past. and at the moment it is still fast enough. but will it exist in further kernels oder linux-versions???

frindly

Post by frindly » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:50 am

is it possible to save and restore a bootable root partition with jfs and fsarchiver?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:35 pm

That's right the jfs design looks better than the ext2/ext3. fsarchiver is able to restore all linux native filesystems, including root filesystem, but you will have to reinstall grub yourself. grub has to make modifications in the mbr, and fsarchiver is only doing what it's supposed to do: it works on the partition where the filesystem is, nothing else. The system admin is supposed to use it only for this purpose.

reiserfs is still my favorite for normal filesystem, because it's a lot faster than the orther filesystem on small files, and it saves space as well. It seems that Edward Shishkin and suse guys are still maintaining reiserfs (version 3.6), as you can see in the mailing list:
http://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.file%2 ... fs.general

I also think ext4 is quite good if you think ext3 has a bad design. For instance ext4 comes with support for extents which provides good performances for large files. It's quite recent, but I think we can use it on non critical computers.