two partitons

Post by frindly » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:53 am

hello,
i have the following partition scheme:
dev/sda1 -> ext2 ubuntu
dev/sda2 -> ext3 debian
dev/sda3 -> swap
dev/sda4 -> data
now i installed first dev/sda1 with ubuntu. after that i installed dev/sda2 with debian. in this case, the uuid from the swap partition was changed and now ubuntu has no access to the swap partition. till now i not changed the fstab from ubuntu. but this is the test system only.
after ubuntu i installed debian on /dev/sda2 and so the menu.lst from grub is written to dev/sda2 in the partition of debian.
can i now backup the firtst two partitons with fsarchiver, and... important when i restore them, would they both be bootable with grub???

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:13 pm

fsarchiver only works on a partition, and grub also write things in the mbr to work.

In any case, fsarchiver will never change anything in your mbr, so grub won't work on a new computer where you want to copy these os. If the mbr is already configured for grub, it will still work.

you have to decide whether sda1 or sda2 will manage grub, and then don't use the other one. fsarchiver will just copy/restore the whole filesystem including the grub files which are inside, there is nothing special done about grub.

tuipveus

Re: two partitons

Post by tuipveus » Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:33 am

You have to either

a) reinstall the grub after restoring so it will find stage2 from new position (position changed)
b) make backup of sda1 and sda2 with partimage, so stage2 will keep in same position (block level)

Remember to backup mbr too and possibly first 63 sectors of harddisk.