ext{2..4} performance: fsarchiver or kernel?

Please ask questions here if you are not familiar with fsarchiver

Might as well vote. Of these which is the biggest performance factor?

kernel version
No votes
filesystem
No votes
fsarchiver version
No votes

Total votes: 0

knapjack

ext{2..4} performance: fsarchiver or kernel?

Post by knapjack » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:27 am

I'm using a hand-rolled imaging solution with Tiny Core Linux and fsarchiver and it's been working well, but it's gone through some iterations and improvements and one of my peers noticed our current iteration is quite a bit slower than previous iterations.

So, I'm going back through the changes trying to identify the cause of the slowdown, and of course I'm multitasking, so ran a series of quick tests using the same image, same fsarchiver version (0.6.10) and the same Tiny Core version (3.5, with kernel version 2.6.33), I get about 9 minutes restoring to ext3, 17 minutes restoring to ext2, and 18 minutes restoring to ext4.

In one of our previous iterations, we were restoring this image to ext4 in just under 6 minutes.

So, I'm liable to point the finger at the kernel version and start rolling back the clock, but I can take this any number of directions and they all raise questions. First, is it normal to see such large time discrepancies between filesystems, especially ext2 and ext3? Second, is there data out there that I might be able to reference to find a sweet spot in the kernel, filesystem, and fsarchiver version combinations to keep the restore times low?

Thanks,

-Jack

tuipveus

Re: ext{2..4} performance: fsarchiver or kernel?

Post by tuipveus » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:36 am

I don't know much, but what comes to mind is that fsarchiver probably creates new filesystem with mkfs, before restoring files on it. Try to compare the times what it takes to make new filesystem with mkfs.ext{2..4}

And checkout kernel changelogs of your running (and versions between those) kernels.