Add progress bar when saving/restoring an archive

Post here if you want to request a features that has not been implemented yet
mbiebl

Add progress bar when saving/restoring an archive

Post by mbiebl » Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:19 pm

Saving/restoring an archive can take quite a while.
The verbose mode (-v) is a bit too chatty for my taste, what I'd like is a simple progress bar which shows me how many % of the works has already been completed

admin
Site Admin

Re: Add progress bar when saving/restoring an archive

Post by admin » Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:22 am

The progress bar has been requested many times. To do that we have to first do an analysis of the filesystem so that we know how many files/dirs and how many bytes have to be copied (as rsync does). Doing a statfs() at the beginning is not appropriate because it will return data to be copied (blocks are used for metadata) on an empty filesystem. Have to think about how to do that we no code duplication.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Add progress bar when saving/restoring an archive

Post by admin » Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:11 am

I finally found a solution which is both efficient (it won't give very bad statistics in the corner cases) and which does not require code duplication.

The progression has been implemented in fsarchiver-0.6.3-beta4. You have to use the verbose option to see it ("fsarchiver -v").
The progression will only be shown for archiver created and restored with fsarchiver-0.6.3-beta4 (or more recent).
This version is part of SystemRescueCd-1.3.4-beta3 with an alternative path (/usr/sbin/fsarchiver-0.6.3_beta4)