progress bar or purcentage of progression for fsarchiver

Post here if you want to request a features that has not been implemented yet
guitarblues56

progress bar or purcentage of progression for fsarchiver

Post by guitarblues56 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:07 pm

Hello,

I was a big fan of partimage but with my lvm volumes,i switch to fsarchiver.

Are you planning to implement a progress bar or any kind of information so the user have an estimation of the time leaving before the save or restore end up ?

Thanks for your work

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:06 pm

The problem with progress bars is it's difficult to estimate.

It's easy to know how many blocks are used in the filesystem, but to be able to says how much we still have to do, we need to have file based statistics, not block based stats. So the only way to know that is to browse all the files at the beginning of the process to estimate what the total amount of data to process is.

I may do that if I implement a progress bar in the GUI later anyway. Have to think about it.

admin
Site Admin

Re: progress bar or purcentage of progression for fsarchiver

Post by admin » Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:14 am

I finally found a solution which is both efficient (it won't give very bad statistics in the corner cases) and which does not require code duplication.

The progression has been implemented in fsarchiver-0.6.3-beta4. You have to use the verbose option to see it ("fsarchiver -v").
The progression will only be shown for archiver created and restored with fsarchiver-0.6.3-beta4 (or more recent).
This version is part of SystemRescueCd-1.3.4-beta3 with an alternative path (/usr/sbin/fsarchiver-0.6.3_beta4)

floor9

Post by floor9 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:25 pm

Hate to dig up such an old post, but a progress indicator in a non-verbose mode would be helpful. I'm currently implementing fsarchiver in an automated restore capacity for non-technical people, and having a progress report without the massive slew of filenames would help keep things simple.

It doesn't have to be anything fancy. Even a single-line output like "5%...10%...15%..." would be great.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:33 pm

There are a lot of improvements like that in the future. I can't tell you when it will be done, it depends on the spare time and priorities, but I will try to do that when I have time.

floor9

Post by floor9 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:53 pm

Great!

I know this has been kicked around in another thread, but I'm also looking forward to seeing MBR backup / restore functionality. This is an extremely low priority on my wishlist, as I'm currently using dd for that purpose.