FAT32 support for UEFI

Post here if you want to request a features that has not been implemented yet
ozar

FAT32 support for UEFI

Post by ozar » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:27 pm

Good day! :)

Sorry if this has been posted before and I missed it with my search efforts.

I'm running Linux on UEFI enabled motherboards now and would like to continue using FSarchiver for archiving my filesystems as I did previously on legacy BIOS systems, but it appears that the EFI partition can't be archived using FSarchiver due to it not supporting FAT32. Are there plans to implement FAT32 support in FSarchiver, or is there some other simple way to get the job done with UEFI enabled systems? I'm using Acronis TrueImage now, but would like to return to using FSarchiver if there's a fairly simple method of doing so on EFI FAT32 partitions.

Thank you for authoring such a fine utility!

ozar

Re: FAT32 support for UEFI

Post by ozar » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:45 am

While doing some more searching, I did find a thread that is almost 4 years old where member, IgnorantGuru, is requesting support for FAT filesystems, but now that UEFI is quickly becoming widespread, I'm thinking that support for FAT32 may be needed more than ever for fsarchiver. I wouldn't be bothered even if I have to run a separate command to archive the fat32 UEFI partition itself, but naturally it would be better if archiving it could be included within the same command used for partitions with other filesystems.

Note that I truly do prefer using fsarchiver over all the other backup options that I've tried but this UEFI thing has thrown a kink into the joy of using it, unless of course there's way of using it that I'm missing.

Thanks again for the great utility.

ozar

Re: FAT32 support for UEFI

Post by ozar » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:30 pm

Ouch... I just noticed that the admin here hasn't visited this forum since February of this year according to his/her user profile, so it appears that any response to this thread or others could be a very long time coming. Either way, I'll keep checking back now and then.

Thanks! :)