Want How-to move WinXP to new larger drive

Post here if you have questions about how to use the program
johnswolter

Want How-to move WinXP to new larger drive

Post by johnswolter » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:46 pm

Moving from 40 GB to 250 GB with WinXP. Using SSH or Samba LAN server as backup store. Since the existing HD is working I'm using this opportunity to test different backup-restore software. Also I want to setup a dual boot LINUX OpenSUSE.org. That is installed after Win XP is moved.

I sense real fear of Windows backup-restore processes.

Seemed a simple idea but this is what's happened...
Acronis Home 2010 - it works
CloneZilla - Failed, complained its own backup was not a partImage file it made
Macrium - Failed mid-restore, It's out.
SystemRescueCD - Current tests: FSArchiver then partImage

What are the steps with FSArchiver to move to a larger HD? I'm using a new blank HD. This is the so called bare-metal restore. Can these steps be automated?

admin
Site Admin

Re: Want How-to move WinXP to new larger drive

Post by admin » Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:50 pm

There is nothing special to know about fsarchiver to do that. It should work with windows-xp.
Yes this can be automated, fsarchiver is running with a non-interactive command line interface so that it can be scripted.

johnswolter

Post by johnswolter » Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:22 pm

I tried it a few minutes ago to find a problem not related to NTFS. This laptop has in addition to the NTFS partition a Recovery partition formatted as FAT-32 (2...yet the 1st one physically on the disk..figure that) and a FAT-16 (5) partition from which an old IBM PC DOS program is run. The system is not multi-boot or VM'ed. The DOS program is run within Win XP.

The goal is to transfer all three partitions to a new HD and then add OpenSUSE 11.3, just out. Just out means "oh-boy here we go".

FSArchiver doesn't want to accept the /dev/sda2 an /dev/sda5 partitions using the savefs command. I'm guessing the file by file approach will work. The Recovery partition is booted from a special menu on start if needed. Yet another issue by itself.

I tried a CloneZilla via SSH but it will not use it's own backup which is delivered via Samba. That's yet it hasn't. CloneZilla appears to have switched to partClone to handle more recent file-systems. They leave a copy of the menus composed run-script in the temp directory I've not looked at yet.

SysrescueCD uses partImage for which I need an as yet to locate backup and bare-metal restore procedure. It looks like partImage is done and not being further updated based on form comments. I had to produce the three images plus MBR and part-table using different utilities. Who know the correct way to move those to another HD?

Aconis works but I want to use FOSS. FOSS will also allow custom scripting. How would I do all of this backing up & restoring for a dozen different computer in a typical business? Write a $1500 check to Acronis?

Any insights would be welcomed.

Cheers.
Last edited by johnswolter on Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

johnswolter

Post by johnswolter » Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:23 pm

Don't let me miss discussing scripting inside FSArchiver....

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:27 pm

fsarchiver does not support FAT so you will have to use another solution or a simple DD may work if you restore to a disk of the same size...

johnswolter

Post by johnswolter » Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:31 pm

I was guessing that on a file by file basis from a mounted FAT-16,32 partition is supported. Further, FAT-16,32 for a unmounted partition is not supported. Are these both correct statements?

I'm getting use to the FSArchiver terminology about backup-restores. I see FSArchiver doing backups on unmounted NTFS, ext2,3,4, and others. It implies that those are accessed directly from within FSArchiver.

johnswolter

Post by johnswolter » Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:57 pm

Thank you for the FAT-16,32 information. The programs and data on the MS-DOS partition can luckily just be copied file by file. That partition is not booted and I do not run MS-DOS under XP. I do wonder about running Virtual Box but that's for another day.

The MS-DOS files will be copied or moved to the 250 GB drive which has a different size and geometry. A partition will be created on the new drive and that means dd can not be used for that move.

I do not know if it is of any help but FreeDOS has complete support for FAT-16. I wonder if it also has FAT-32 support. That code could serve to give FSArchiver support for these filesystem formats.

Filesystem migration is becoming a bigger deal these days. Maybe FSArchiver could play a bigger role in that in the future.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:03 am

It would be possible to add support for FAT filesystems in fsarchiver to be able to save and restore FAT filesystems with just data files. But more work would be necessary to preserve the ability to boot an operating system installed on that FAT partition. So if the simple FAT support was implemented, many users would just try to clone their Windows 9x OS and they would just not be able to boot after it's restored. Support for FAT is a very low priority as NTFS is much better for Windows users.