archinfo

Post here if you have questions about how to use the program
harry

archinfo

Post by harry » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:05 am

If I use archinfo on an archive that contains multiple partitions, the output exceeds the number of lines on the monitor and I am unable to view the top lines of the file. The usual tools like less don't work. Is there any way I can pause the output?

admin
Site Admin

Re: archinfo

Post by admin » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:41 pm

There are many solutions that will work for all commands in general.

1) redirect output to a file
- fsarchiver archinfo myarchive.fsa > /var/tmp/myfile.txt
- open /var/tmp/myfile.txt with an editor

2) Use a pager such as "less" or "more"
fsarchiver archinfo myarchive.fsa | more

harry

Post by harry » Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:05 am

I am familiar with the general solutions you mention, but as I said in my first post, they don't work. I should mention I am using fsarchiver from the SystemRescuecd v1.3.5 environment, where I have found that, using the fsarchiver archinfo command:

- piping output to a text file results in output still being directed to the screen, plus an empty file is created

- using less or more results in the screen output scrolling to the end immediately, leaving only the last 25 lines visible, and with the line count being reported as 0/0

Lazy_Kent

Post by Lazy_Kent » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:55 am

harry wrote:using less or more results in the screen output scrolling to the end immediately, leaving only the last 25 lines visible, and with the line count being reported as 0/0
Didn't you try Shift+PageUp?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:14 pm

You can also try that:

Code: Select all

fsarchiver archinfo myarchive.fsa > /var/tmp/myfile.txt 2>&1

harry

Post by harry » Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:36 am

Great, that works, thanks for a productive reply.
This is not a trivial problem, as anyone wishing to do a restore needs the filesystem id from the archive. With any archive of 3 or more partitions the id 's are invisible for all but the last 2 partitions, when using a pager or a standard pipe to a text file command.
I request you add this information to any help or man page for fsarchiver.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:44 am

I see what you mean, but it's not an fsarchiver specific problem. We can have this problem with all the program that can print messages in the terminal. So it's not the right place to document that.

harry

Post by harry » Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:07 am

I've not come across this before with other commands, so I accept what you say. But as a self-taught Linux enthusiast, not a computing professional, one of my biggest gripes is with the difficulty of finding comprehensive documentation for software. If each person in your position doesn't provide an illustration/example for a situation like this because it is "too general", then it never gets documented anywhere that we amateurs would think of looking.
The end result is that new users trying out the software only need one bad experience of not being able to restore their desktop, and they will stop using it. Worse, they will tell all their friends not to use it either. This seems to me to be self-defeating....

I hope you change your mind (and/or better still, find a solution so that a pager will work).
Looking forward to future updates.:-)

Edit:
Having now looked at re-direction, it occurs to me that you could just add the following to your help page -
* show information about an archive and its file systems
fsarchiver archinfo /data/myarchive2.fsa 2>&1 | less

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:04 pm

I think the current fsarchiver manpage/website is quite good as there are many real examples. It takes two minutes to understand the command you need. In most manual page, you can struggle to find basic examples.

Anyway, it's not really possible to document all the stuff related to fsarchiver. And I am not sure it would be a good idea. When you get a new program with a manual, it's really annoying if you have to read 500 pages especially if most of that is not exactly what you are looking for. Having a shorter documentation with only what you have to know about this specific program is better. For the other stuff, you should just read the appropriate manual. The problem you had is about how to use the shell.

harry

Post by harry » Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:52 pm

OK, then for all the other "newbies" out there who don't have your level of expertise, and who find the documentation only provides the basics, how about having in your forum, as Fedora does, a section called Guides and Solutions, where members can post "howto's" that have worked for them?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:06 pm

This is a good idea. Feel free to post such things in "How to use fsarchiver" and I will move it to a separate group if necessary.