Basic windows 7 backup-restore question

Please ask questions here if you are not familiar with fsarchiver
angel6700

Basic windows 7 backup-restore question

Post by angel6700 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:52 am

Hello,

I'm planning to use fsarchiver in the following scenario:
A new laptop with freshly booted windows 7, all windows updates, microsoft office and some other software. This is a friend's computer, and I want to make a backup image of the windows 7, just in case he need to go back some day in case of problems.
The computer is able to boot directly and restore to factory settings, but that is not enough because then a lot of programs will be lost... So this is my idea:

Actually there are 3 Primary partitions:
sda1-Restore partition
sda2-System (bootable) (windows 7 partition)
sda3-Windows 7 (Operating system)

I will boot with systemrescuecd, and using gparted I will shrink the windows 7 partition (huge) and will make a new ext4 partition.
Reboot, because windows will need to scandisk after size change in its partition.

Then I will use fsarchiver:

Code: Select all

mount /dev/sda4/ /mnt/backup/
fsarchiver savefs /mnt/backup/windows7.fsa /dev/sda2 /dev/sda3 
OK, all this is quite simple.

My question. Will it work if I restore this two partitions some time later?
I think so, Will be the same computer, the same computer, the same partitions... but just to be sure...

Do I need to restore both partitions? or only the windows one?

mount /dev/sda4/ /mnt/backup/
fsarchiver restfs /mnt/backup/windows7.fsa id=0,dest=/dev/sda2 id=1,dest=/dev/sda3
or only
fsarchiver restfs /mnt/backup/windows7.fsa id=1,dest=/dev/sda3
I have read that some people need to edit some boot files of to deal with MBR...
For me it would not be a problem, but I want to it in an automatic way with and script in systemrescuecd, so my friend could do it alone with little help.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Best regards.

Chamo00

Re: Basic windows 7 backup-restore question

Post by Chamo00 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:59 pm

I m new on fsarchiver, I m right now trying to get in deep over it. But I will, for the moment, recommend use Norton Ghost 15 . you not need keep both partition. If you keep the master partition and another links partition option on Norton Ghost , you will keep full functional to restore all program with out reinstall any program again. you can also do the backup by size small than 4 Gb and do it's on DVD to future restore and full or partial . You have to know that Norton Ghost coming with installation Disk and restore Disk where you can fusion on one with partition Magic if you insert one folder inside restore disk with installation program.
I m sorry if I can't help you, but I will find out the solution soon, I hope come back.

clepsydrae

Post by clepsydrae » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:06 am

I'm late to the party, but in case anyone else finds this thread: fsarchiver, as far as i can ascertain, is definitely not functional for Win 7 or 8 operating system backups. I definitely would not use it for that. See:

http://www.fsarchiver.org/forums/viewto ... 4268#p4268

http://tuxera.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f ... 7461953121

It's apparently a fixable issue, but i'm not sure if it's being worked on?

I use partimage for Windows partition backups, but like fsarchiver, ntfs support is "beta".

If you do use fsarchiver for a windows 7 or 8 OS partition and you don't get "too many links" errors, definitely post here with detail, but i doubt it will happen.

Dieter_Ubuntu

Post by Dieter_Ubuntu » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:37 pm

The error can be corrected:

I use Ubuntu 14.04 and fsarchiver.
I download ntfs-3g_ntfsprogs-20142,15.tgz from Tuxera. http://www.tuxera.com/community/ntfs-3g ... /#download
I removed in dir.c line 2325 in the function

static int get_dos_name(ntfs_inode *ni, u64 dnum, ntfschar *dosname)
this code:
outsize = -1;
After compilation

./configure
make 
sudo make install
fsarchiver works without problems.
I can backed win7 und win8 partitions without error

The code
outsize = -1;
is this a mistake in ntfs-3g?

Regards
Dieter_Ubuntu

Lazy_Kent

Post by Lazy_Kent » Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:10 pm

Dieter,
Can you, please email to the author directly?

Dieter_Ubuntu

Post by Dieter_Ubuntu » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:17 pm

Hallo Lazy,
do you mean the author of fsarchiver? I have send a mail to Francois Dupoux.
Better would be an email to the authors of ntfs-g3. Who are the authors?

Regards Dieter

Dieter_Ubuntu

Post by Dieter_Ubuntu » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:01 pm

I must correct me:
The restore from win7 and win8 partitions is with errors.
I backed a win7-Partition. (no error-message)
When I restored this win7-partition i get error messages in oper_restore.c # 262. lsetxattr dos not works correct.

Regards

Dieter_Ubuntu

Post by Dieter_Ubuntu » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:55 pm

The mistake is in dir.c.
I use ntfs-3g-2014.2.15.
Who I dir.c and dir.h replaced by the 2012.1.15 version, fsarchiver restored the win7-partition without error.
Regards

Lazy_Kent

Post by Lazy_Kent » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:24 pm

Dieter_Ubuntu wrote:Hallo Lazy,
do you mean the author of fsarchiver? I have send a mail to Francois Dupoux.
Better would be an email to the authors of ntfs-g3. Who are the authors?

Regards Dieter
Hi, Dieter.
I mean the author of fsarchiver.

Let see, what Francois answers.

clepsydrae

Post by clepsydrae » Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:40 pm

I recommend looking at the links I posted above... the ntfs-3g author is happy to help with a fix, but we haven't heard from the fsarchiver author on this subject, so I'm not sure where things stand or if they will be fixed. Perhaps someone with kowledge can jump in and help with the issue.

The ntfs-3g person said that it now returns errors in that case (I'm assuming this is what line 2325 is about) because doing otherwise is bug-prone and ambiguous. I'm not clear on the details, but ntfs-3g was apparently intentionally changed for that reason. Again, see the threads that I posted above.

fsarchiver is not fully functional/trustable for win7 or win8 backups, afaik, regardless of which ntfs-3g you use and regardless of whether it displays errors: i think the older ntfs-3g version just doesn't complain and returns untrustworthy info, and the newer version is more strict.

Dieter_Ubuntu

Post by Dieter_Ubuntu » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:17 am

For the error messages in backup and recovery, this code in function static int get_dos_name and static int get_long_name is responsible:
if (fn->file_name_type != FILE_NAME_DOS)
namecount++;
This code was in ntfs-3g version 2012.1. not included and fsarchiver works without problems.
The error messages always refer to the /Windows/winsxs folder. On my computer, this folder has about 19178 subfolder and 76265 files. With only 148 files, I get error messages when backing up.
Tomorrow i installed a test-version from windows8.1. With the ntfs-g3 version from 2012 fsarchiver works correct. With the Version from 2014 798 regfiles and 19788 Links are not corrected backed!

This is the answer from the author from fsarchiver before 3 days:
According to the tuxera forums this is not a bug in ntfs-3g but an expected behaviour. What jpa says is this returns an error when there are multiple short names associated with a file so I think what it does is right. You cannot simply stop reporting an error to pretend it does not exist. In general ntfs-3g is good quality as they are working hard on this project.

Again I think nobody should use fsarchiver for ntfs. I have not done enough work on it to make it stable so this is a risky thing to do with risk of data losses. There is no way to escape this reality. If we wanted it to work properly someone would need to spend years working hard on it. I have very limited time so I am not going to do it, especially for Windows which I am not using. So I recommend you use an alternative solution for ntfs filesystems.

I have updated the fsarchiver website to make it clear the ntfs support is experimental.

clepsydrae

Post by clepsydrae » Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:21 pm

Dieter_Ubuntu wrote: This code was in ntfs-3g version 2012.1. not included and fsarchiver works without problems.
I think the point is that it doesn't work without problems, it just appears to work without problems; the ntfs-3g person says that previously it was silently making mistakes; this allows fsarchiver to back up the file, but it doesn't preserve all of the information about the file accurately. The new version(s) of ntfs-3g return errors, which causes fsarchiver to skip the files. This, anyway, is my understanding.
This is the answer from the author from fsarchiver before 3 days:
If that's a public post somewhere, could you link to it? I'm curious to see the thread, but I can't find it. Anyway, it seems to agree with what I've said above?
If we wanted it to work properly someone would need to spend years working hard on it. I have very limited time so I am not going to do it, especially for Windows which I am not using.
Here's hoping someone has the time and interest and can step up. Again, the ntfs-3g person said they'd be happy to help resolve the issue. I'm surprised to hear that it would take years of hard work; there must be other issues besides this one, which doesn't seem like it would even take weeks, but I am ignorant of the details.
So I recommend you use an alternative solution for ntfs filesystems.
...which doesn't exist for Linux, unfortunately. :-) I mean, I use partimage, but it's similarly unsupported.

tuipveus

Post by tuipveus » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:49 pm

For NTFS I use ntfsclone,
For linux filesystems, I use fsarchiver.
Partitiontables I backup with sfdisk and/or dd manually.