fsarchiver swaps sda1 for sdb2 and vice versa

Please ask questions here if you are not familiar with fsarchiver
Singtoh

fsarchiver swaps sda1 for sdb2 and vice versa

Post by Singtoh » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:02 am

Hello All,

I was wondering if anyone else has this problem, or maybe I am daft :)

I am using a Thinkpad T-61 with 1, 500g internal HDD(sdb1=/root and sdb3=/home) and 1, 200g HDD(sda1=storage1) that is in the Ultrabay compartment. My backup HDD(sdd1) is external and formatted NTFS.
I boot into the SystemRescuecd with default settings. Get to the terminal and type: mount -t ntfs-3g -j2 /dev/sdd1 /mnt/backup. Then to do the backup: fsarchiver j-2 -v /mnt/backup/storage1.fsa /dev/sda1. It all goes fine but as the topic says, when I want to backup sda1 it backs up sdb1 and for sdb1 it backs up sda1. Also, I noticed that my backup is including deleted files from ages ago(is this possible??) My sda1 has only 40gig of used data on it and my backup is a total size of about 78gig?? Am I daft,doing something wrong maybe. I don't know??? Thanks for any comments in advance.

Cheers,

Singtoh

Singtoh

Re: fsarchiver swaps sda1 for sdb2 and vice versa

Post by Singtoh » Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:04 am

Hello Again,

Just thought I would post again and clarify a couple of things. I found that in the Thinkpad-T61 bios there is a setting under Sata called AHCI and Compatability mode. I changed mine from AHCI to Compatability and it cured the illusion that fsarchiver was swapping sda1 for sdb2(I made a mistake in the previous post, it's sda2 for sdb2) I should have documented this as I was doing it, because it is a little confusing thinking back on it, getting my sda's and sdb's confused):). Anyway, fsarchiver was correct in seeing my root HDD as sda1(which it really is). After rebooting with said change, Ubuntu Maverick also sees /root as sda1, before the change Ubuntu saw the /root as sdb1, and when trying to backup with Fsarchiver it does'nt see sda1 at all, but sees it as sda2. Also I commented about Fsarchiver backing up files that had been deleted, and in fact it did do this. I was seeing something along the lines during the backup as "trash.000001 expunged, then the location and then file name and extension. My backup was twice the size of what I had on the drive at the time. I cured this by "zeroing" the drive with a dd command, then backed it up again and all is as it should be. I guess the drive needed a good cleaning. I hope I explained this so someone can understand it, but I think you will get the idea of what happened. I hope this helps someone that stumbles upon this post with a similiar situation. :)

Cheers,

Singtoh