Error 20

Please ask questions here if you are not familiar with fsarchiver
tanmoykrthakur

Error 20

Post by tanmoykrthakur » Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:04 pm

i want to tack my ubuntu 10.10 backup in a NTFS drive(where i creat a folder named "Backup", so i use this command
"fsarchiver savefs /dev/sda7/Backup/gentoo-rootfs.fsa /dev/sda10"
its display this error
[errno=20, Not a directory]: archwriter.c#116,archwriter_create(): cannot create archive /dev/sda7/Backup/gentoo-rootfs.fsa
oper_save.c#939,filesystem_mount_partition(): partition [/dev/sda10] is mounted read/write. please mount it read-only
and then try again. you can do "mount -o remount,ro /dev/sda10". you can
also run fsarchiver with option '-A' if you know what you are doing.

Help me

admin
Site Admin

Re: Error 20

Post by admin » Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:42 pm

You are trying to save /dev/sda10 which is mounted in read-write mode. So the archive may not be 100% consistent as the filesystem may change during the backup. You have two solutions:
1) remount /dev/sda is read-only mode. Then no change can happen during the "fsarchiver savefs" and we are sure the backup will be consistent
2) If you cannot mount it in read-only mode (it may be your root filesystem) then you can tell fsarchiver that you know what you are doing, and to force it to save that filesystem anyway. If files or directories are created/modified/deleted on /dev/sda10 during the backup, you may have a partially backed up file or something like that. Add option -A on the command line.

tanmoykrthakur

Post by tanmoykrthakur » Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:39 pm

How to remount ubuntu root (/) drive in read-only mode. please explain

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:25 pm

The error messages tells you how to mount a partition in read-only mode:

Code: Select all

mount -o remount,ro /dev/sda10
But you should not do that with the root filesystem.

You should either boot from a rescuecd such as SystemRescueCd which has fsarchiver, to backup /dev/sda10 when it's not mounted. Or you should use option -A if you are not doing too many changes on the root filesystem at that time. The ultimate solution is to have your filesystem in LVM to make backups with LVM Snapshots.