Development Status?

Please ask questions here if you are not familiar with fsarchiver
Coastie

Development Status?

Post by Coastie » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:19 am

I know you have been busy with > monthly updates to sysrescuecd, has there been much on the development front for fsarchiver? Do we have anything in the works on a 'verify' option for the archive, or any other upcoming features?

admin
Site Admin

Re: Development Status?

Post by admin » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:21 pm

I haven't updated fsarchiver-0.6.x for quite a long time just because it seems to work very well with linux filesystems. Anyway I am using it everyday and this is my experience.

I am currently working hard on a complete rewrite that should address limitations of fsarchiver-0.6.x and also provide new major features. One good example is a new organization of the code that makes the processing and the front-end really independent and then it will allow the development of a gtk interface as a separate module later. Certain trivial features cannot be easily implemented in fsarchiver-0.6.x because of the way it works.

At that stage it's just a prototype that does the very essential things but which is very incomplete. The purpose is to implement new foundations based on a better design with less limitations and with new features in mind. This allows to know whether or not the new model can work, and then it requires a lot of work to implement the remaining stuff on the top of these new foundations.

Hopefully there won't be major unexpected problem and it should be possible to develop that new version wit no problem, but it will require a lot of time anyway, so it won't be ready before several months.

Coastie

Re: Development Status?

Post by Coastie » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:08 am

Sounds good, thanks for the update