Symlink problems when restoring Win7 Prof archive

Please ask questions here if you are not familiar with fsarchiver
count28

Symlink problems when restoring Win7 Prof archive

Post by count28 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:43 pm

Hello,

This morning I have tried to create and restore an archive file of my Windows 7 Professional system. The creation process seemed to have completed without any problems (no errors were reported). However, when I tried to restore the archive I just created I receive a number of errors about symlinks (errno = 22). Then (after restoration) I tried to boot and login to Windows. Booting went fine, however I was unable to login to my system (neither my administrator nor my regular account works). I get an error about failing to load the personal profile. Now there is something special about my Windows setup: I have installed Windows to the first primary partition (C:\) and afterwards I moved the Users directory to a dedicated partition (D:\). Then I created a symbolic link from C:\Users to D:\Users, which seemed to work flawlessly. (The complete description of how this can be achieved can be found at http://lifehacker.com/5467758/move-the- ... -windows-7.) So, I created the symlink in Windows as follows:

Code: Select all

mklink /J C:\Users D:\Users
Maybe the problems I experience are related to this setup?

I would really appreciate it if anyone could help me on solving this problem. I am aware that I probably have not provided sufficient information to get a full understanding of my problem. In that case, please let me know what other information you need and, if possible, also which commands I need to issue to obtain that information (I am still relatively new to Linux). Thanks in advance for your time and suggestions!

FYI: I have compiled FSArchiver myself from source on a Fedora 13 (64-bit) installation. Currently I am running fsarchiver 0.6.10 (2010-05-09).

tuipveus

Re: Symlink problems when restoring Win7 Prof archive

Post by tuipveus » Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:36 pm

I am not sure, if it is related to your issue, but see changelog of fsarchiver:
0.6.10 (2010-05-09):
"Fixed support of symbolic links on ntfs filesystems with ntfs3g >= 2010.3.6"
Which version is your ntfs-3g of Fedora 13 ?

count28

Post by count28 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:32 pm

Hi tuipveus,

Thanks for your quick reply. I am using the ntfs-3g 2010.8.8 integrated FUSE 27 version.

Before I posted my question I also found another post at this forum where a similar question was asked. As far as I understood the result of that post was a new version of FSArchiver (6.10) that should fix the issue with symlinks in Windows Vista and later. I have the impression that my problem is similar to that one, but not exactly the same (but I can be wrong, of course).

On Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS_symbolic_link) I found there are three options you can give to the Windows mklink command. I have the idea that each of them creates another type of symlink. I'm just guessing now, but maybe the bug fix you are referring to adresses not all those types of symlinks. As I indicated in my first post, I have used the /J option which creates a so-called Directory Junction (whatever that may be). I'm not sure what is the difference with the other two types, but this one was recommended in the howto on moving the Users directory.

This afternoon I have made a listing of my C:\ drive after booting up with my Windows installation DVD. So far, I have noticed one important difference: previously C:\Users was really a symlink to D:\Users, now it seems to be a regular file. That may explain why I have problems during login, because the data needed for login is most likely kept somewhere in the Users directory. However, the symlink is no longer functional (in fact, it is simply a regular file) and therefore Windows cannot retrieve that information. Once again, these are just some ideas, but I could be wrong.

If you have any more ideas on what I can do, please let me know. At your request I can try once more to restore the archive and post the output of that command at this forum. Thanks once again for your time!

count28

Post by count28 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:42 pm

Hello all,

To give you some more information on my problem I have tried again to restore the archive I created earlier with the following command (as root):

fsarchiver -j2 restfs /home/anne/data/tmp/windows-clean-2010-09-12.fsa id=0,dest=/dev/sda1
And this is the output which is written to the terminal:

[errno=22, Invalid argument]: oper_restore.c#255,extractar_restore_attr_windows(): winattr:lsetxattr(/Documents and Settings,system.ntfs_reparse_data) failed
[errno=22, Invalid argument]: oper_restore.c#255,extractar_restore_attr_windows(): winattr:lsetxattr(/ProgramData/Bureaublad,system.ntfs_reparse_data) failed
[errno=22, Invalid argument]: oper_restore.c#255,extractar_restore_attr_windows(): winattr:lsetxattr(/ProgramData/Desktop,system.ntfs_reparse_data) failed
[errno=22, Invalid argument]: oper_restore.c#255,extractar_restore_attr_windows(): winattr:lsetxattr(/ProgramData/Documenten,system.ntfs_reparse_data) failed
[errno=22, Invalid argument]: oper_restore.c#255,extractar_restore_attr_windows(): winattr:lsetxattr(/ProgramData/Documents,system.ntfs_reparse_data) failed
[errno=22, Invalid argument]: oper_restore.c#255,extractar_restore_attr_windows(): winattr:lsetxattr(/ProgramData/Favorieten,system.ntfs_reparse_data) failed
[errno=22, Invalid argument]: oper_restore.c#255,extractar_restore_attr_windows(): winattr:lsetxattr(/ProgramData/Favorites,system.ntfs_reparse_data) failed
[errno=22, Invalid argument]: oper_restore.c#255,extractar_restore_attr_windows(): winattr:lsetxattr(/Users,system.ntfs_reparse_data) failed
Statistics for filesystem 0
* files successfully processed:....regfiles=50518, directories=15322, symlinks=7, hardlinks=21192, specials=2
* files with errors:...............regfiles=0, directories=0, symlinks=8, hardlinks=0, specials=0
Any suggestions or ideas on what may cause this problem are very much appreciated!

patrick013

Post by patrick013 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:25 am

I don't think fsarchiver or any LINUX oriented program can do Windows
symbolic links which are usually disconnected. Had this problem with
XP and .NET Framework backup which had symbolic links in .NET
Framework.

Have used fsarchiver for portable drive to portable drive and restore
back with LINUX operating system with no problems but I suspect
XP with .NET Framework and/or Windows7 with .NET or Windows
symbolic links is a problem. Can't get any LINUX oriented archiver
or imager to run thru these new Windows symlinks which are also
in .NET Framework.

The author needs to specify an exception regarding the new Windows
OS regarding this.

patrick

count28

Post by count28 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:06 pm

Sorry for my late reply, I was quite busy the last couple of days. Thanks patrick013 for sharing your experience. I think you might be right about the symbolic links in Windows and Linux oriented image software. Nevertheless I thought it might be worth to give another Linux package a try. Therefore I downloaded CloneZilla, to see if I would encounter similar problems with this software.

To exclude any problems with the symbolic links as a result of moving the Users directory, I have done a fresh Windows install without this tweak. Then I created an image with CloneZilla which I could restore without any problems (booting as well as logging in was successful). The next step was to install an antivirus program and get all Windows updates. Then I created another image which I could also successfully restore.

Currently, I'm planning to move the Users directory again as described earlier to see what will happen when I create and restore another image. I will post the result here. If it turns out to be successful the challenge is to find out why CloneZilla can do it. Otherwise, I can confirm the experience of patrick013.

P.S.: Any other hints, suggestions or experiences are still very welcome...

patrick013

Post by patrick013 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:49 pm

count28 wrote:Sorry for my late reply, I was quite busy the last couple of days. Thanks patrick013 for sharing your experience. I think you might be right about the symbolic links in Windows and Linux oriented image software. Nevertheless I thought it might be worth to give another Linux package a try. Therefore I downloaded CloneZilla, to see if I would encounter similar problems with this software.

Does Clonezilla make a partition image or a partition archive ? Fragments are hard to image.
I tried an image maker and the files were all corrupt do to numerous fragments on the Windows
partition. LINUX doesn't have fragments and just about anything works. I used fsarchiver tonight to backup my LINUX program partition after some changes and it ran thru error free.

If Clonezilla works on Windows with a number of fragments definitely post back then.
I might start using it for Windows. If not I've got a couple of other ideas.

patrick013

count28

Post by count28 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:38 pm

Hi patrick,

Tonight I have moved the Windows Users directory to a dedicated partition and I have created another image of both partitions (with CloneZilla). Then I restored them and it turned out to be successful. I can boot into Windows without any problems and also all user accounts seem to work properly (no login problems). Of course, at the moment I cannot guarantee that this solution is free of errors. Over time I will discover whether it is a good solution or not. But for now, it seems to work just fine.

Regarding your question whether CloneZilla is image or archive software, I think it is image software. So far, I have used the defragmentation tool that comes with Windows every time just before creating an image. Up to now that strategy has worked, but it is very well possible that at some point in the future I will also experience problems due to fragmentation.

For now, I would advise you to use CloneZilla for creating images of Windows 7. For all your Linux installs, I think FSArchiver is the best choice. If I discover other interesting things regarding FSArchiver / CloneZilla and Windows 7 I will share it here. Thanks for your kind replies and ideas. If you have any other questions or suggestions I would be happy to read about them at this forum.

patrick013

Post by patrick013 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:27 pm

count28 wrote:
Tonight I have moved the Windows Users directory to a dedicated partition and I have created another image of both partitions (with CloneZilla). Then I restored them and it turned out to be successful.

For now, I would advise you to use CloneZilla for creating images of Windows 7. For all your Linux installs, I think FSArchiver is the best choice.

I've always said keep LINUX with LINUX and Windows with Windows and you
proved that theory wrong. I think Clone is making an image and FS is making
an archive, why Clone is successful with the W7 operating files. I was going to
say Seagate DiskWizard is designed for Windows only, and free on their website.
Does a boot USB and a basic backup and restore.

Post with your results,

THX

patrick013

Coastie

Post by Coastie » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:32 am

I believe clonezilla uses partimage instead of fsarchiver for the backup/restore process.

As you can see here: http://www.fsarchiver.org/Fsarchiver_vs_partimage FSArchiver uses files and partimage uses blocks, that may explain why FSA fails and partimage via clonezilla succeeds

After checking, clonezilla uses PartClone by default which like partimage and unlike FSA, uses blocks for backup, not files.