Trouble archiving a Win7 partition

Please ask questions here if you are not familiar with fsarchiver
floor9

Trouble archiving a Win7 partition

Post by floor9 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:19 pm

I am using FSarchiver via a SystemRescueCD ISO that is mounted as a loop filesystem by Grub2 at boot. When attempting to archive a Windows 7 NTFS partition (/dev/sda2), I get the following error:

Code: Select all

[errno=5, Input/output error]: oper_save.c#778,createar_save_directory(): cannot lstat64(/tmp/fsa/20100615-071105-00/Windows/assembly/NativeImages_v2.0.50727_32/indexcb.dat)
[errno=5, Input/output error]: oper_save.c#1223,oper_save(): cannot run evaluation createar_save_directory(/tmp/fsa/20400615-071105-00)
removed /mnt/image/test.fsa
When I reboot and try running this under Ubuntu on the same machine, I am getting the same error message (with slightly different timestamps). But when I run FSarchiver from a USB thumb drive with SystemRescueCD installed, I have no problems whatsoever. Everything works perfectly.

I suspect the problem is with my OS or Grub2 configuration and not FSarchiver itself, but I'm hoping someone can offer a suggestion at where I should look. Is this message indicative of a missing module or mis-mounted filesystem or other obvious fix?

Thanks!

admin
Site Admin

Re: Trouble archiving a Win7 partition

Post by admin » Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:30 pm

Do you always have the first error on the same file ? To narrow it down you should mount the partition using ntfs-3g directly and see if you can do a stat on that file in the shell. You can also check that your memory is working properly (just run memtest from the menu in sysresccd). I also suspect that you can lack memory when you boot sysresccd with the docache option. You can also check the logs (type "dmesg") to see what the kernel says.

floor9

Re: Trouble archiving a Win7 partition

Post by floor9 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:51 pm

Thanks for the response. I have since reinstalled Ubuntu and all is well. This confirms my belief that it was something in the OS and not fsarchiver. All is well.