problem with restoration ntfs partition

Please ask questions here if you are not familiar with fsarchiver
atrok

problem with restoration ntfs partition

Post by atrok » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:21 am

Hi,
just wonder if anybody knows what wrong I've done as I'm unable to boot WinXP after I've restored it from archive made by fsarchiver 0.6.8. Error I get while booting is "bootmgr is compressed" that appears has something to do with missing or corrupted ntldr file in the root of restored partition inspite of I can see it there and it's all the same if compare with another ntldr being taken from other WinXP INst CD or from another system partition, the same size , the same date of creation ... What I've done:
- on clear partition I installed Win XP, file system is NTFS
- then ran fsarchiver from systemresqcd to create .fsa archive - it finished with no errors
- restored partition from .fsa archive - succesfull with no errors
- trying to boot the system - "bootmgr is compressed".
After that I wasn't able to restore that compressed of corrupted ntldr by Windows XP Recovery Console as chkdsk reported unrecoverable problems with disk inspite of I can mount partition if run from under systemresqdisk and see its content. I checked dsik with Testdisk utility from Systemresqdisk and it says that all is correct with that partition, MBR is OK, MFT is OK, Boot sector is fine. The only thing I can think of is that fsarchiver didn't restore file attributes correctly as what I observed while it'd been restoring fs is all acl and attributes and so on were null. So I hope if anyone experienced the same and resolved it finally so may provide any input on how to make the system bootable.

tuipveus

Re: problem with restoration ntfs partition

Post by tuipveus » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:09 am

atrok

Post by atrok » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:21 am

tuipveus wrote:bootrec /fixmbr perhaps?

http://www.cybertechhelp.com/forums/sho ... 686&page=2
this doesn't work for XP, it's for Vista only ...
Also I noted that XP Repair Console being ran after I restored partition from .fsa didn't see this restored partition and couldn't list directories on 'dir' command, says 'enumeration error' or something like this ...And I tried to fix MBR as XP Repair console provides this opportunity ( by 'fixmbr' and 'fixboot') but once performed it replaced MBR with new one so that it removed partitions table and I had to restore it by other utilities.
In general it looks like problem with MBR, however fixmbr was not able to fix it. I believe there is something wrong with archive fsarchiver created as I don't think it creates new MBR. I thought it could only update boot sector of partition where it extracts filesystem but it's only supposition ... If I knew how fsarchiver works it would be easy to get what it has done wrong

tomaszg

Post by tomaszg » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:43 pm

Boot from XP CD, use "repair" option, log to Your system and type:
fixmbr