Stability

Please ask questions here if you are not familiar with fsarchiver
alexpacio

Stability

Post by alexpacio » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:11 pm

Hi,
I would backup my server which runs on Centos 5 and i like fsarchiver. Can it be considered stable for production use (with LVM/ext3) ?
Thanks

admin
Site Admin

Re: Stability

Post by admin » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:07 pm

I consider fsarchiver-0.6.8 quite stable for linux filesystems and I use it for all my backups with no problem (mostly ext3 and reiserfs).
You should really use the latest non-beta version since bugs have been fixed in recent versions.

Anyway, even with stable tools, you should always make a Disaster-Recovery test to see if you can restore your backups on an empty hard drive (you can test that in a Virtual machine). By doing that we can find problems that you could not imagine.

For instance backups must preserve extended attributes on linux root files-systems where selinux is enabled, and an extra option is necessary in tools like rsync. If you don't use that option the extended attributes are not preserved and your restored root filesystem cannot boot. fsarchiver preserves xattr, but it's just an example.

It's also recommended make backups based on LVM snapshots, it works very well with fsarchiver and LVM.