Difficulty Understanding Restoration

Please ask questions here if you are not familiar with fsarchiver
mikodo

Difficulty Understanding Restoration

Post by mikodo » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:23 pm

Hello everyone,

I am new to computers but am interested in backing up my data with fsarchiver. A friend who is a lot more knowledgeable about computers is also trying to understand your application, and is very busy and asked if I would see if I could find an answer to a question of his in some forums. To accomplish this, I couldn't think of anything better than this forum. He understands the backup part of fsarchiver, but is having difficulty understanding the restoration part of the application.

Please see excerpts of his communication/question below:
"I'm having a little trouble understanding the restoration part.

I'm not getting the id=0, id=1, etc, etc...

Would you get a id=1 if you broke apart your back-ups into multiple parts? Is that how they're doing it? Weird because even when you break up the images size into multiple parts it gives the file name a different extention already (ex: test.fsa and test.f01)

Why would I need a different id=x ????

All I can think is that I'm not getting the real meaning of the id= and it's actually something else."

I must leave the above question with you, as I have prior commitments to attend to. I hope that his question is something that can be answered here.

Thank you.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Difficulty Understanding Restoration

Post by admin » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:44 pm

Hi,

In general, you will just need "id=0" to restore a filesystem because you will just have one filesystem per archive.

One single archive file can contain backups of multiple filesystems. In that case, we need to say which one we want to restore. That's why we have to specify this number. When you write something like "fsarchiver restfs myarchive.fsa id=0,dest=/dev/sda1", you say "restore the first (first = number 0) filesystem which is in that archive to the device /dev/sda1".

If you want to only restore the second filesystem of the archive, use "id=1,dest=/dev/somewhere" instead.

You should read the Quick Start Guide, especially the examples, and also parts of this wikibook