fsarchiver_dialog, frontend for clone partition

If you want to contribute, please post there
zolli

fsarchiver_dialog, frontend for clone partition

Post by zolli » Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:52 pm

i have developed a frontend for fsarchiver.
fsarchiver_dialog is a frontend of fsarchiver clone partitions program and now is for experimental use.

you can also download a customized iso of sysrescuecd
http://zolli.altervista.org/fsa_dial/

thank a lot
bye
==== NEWS 2010-09-14: NEW VERSION FULLY FUNCTIONAL ver.0.95

xiraina

Re: fsarchiver_dialog, frontend for clone partition

Post by xiraina » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:10 pm

Hi!

This is a very nice! Good job.

But, I have one question:

Why do you use "dd" with "count=63" ?
Would not "count=1" be enough?

zolli

Post by zolli » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:00 am

for backup of standard MBR and partition table, bytes to save are 512.
In case of use of GRUB or other boot manager, frequently are used many other bytes after 512 ... in a space conventionally called "unused space".
I think best way in this cases is to reinstall grub (with his command) after restore, but in this case the solution will be specific for grub (and is more complex), so i have decided to save more data (count=63),
fsarchiver_dialog in this mode can save all partitions and restore it in a new disk generally without other command, Grub or not Grub.... (tested with standard ubuntu or windows seven in tipical installations)

RonC

Post by RonC » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:49 am

This is a great idea.

I am having a little trouble however because the terms "source" and "target" (or similar) are not used in the initial screens, and I am having a bit of trouble to determine exacty "which is which."

I am going to do a bit of trial and error and see it I can figure it out, but it would be great if you could point me in the right direction before I resume work on this, tomorrow.

Once I get it figured out I could offer some suggestions based on why I was confused. I may mention, I have used other software such as Norton Ghost, and seemed to get it straight there, just by reading the prompts.

Any help will be most appreciated!

zolli

Post by zolli » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:19 pm

RonC wrote:This is a great idea.

I am having a little trouble however because the terms "source" and "target" (or similar) are not used in the initial screens, and I am having a bit of trouble to determine exacty "which is which."

I am going to do a bit of trial and error and see it I can figure it out, but it would be great if you could point me in the right direction before I resume work on this, tomorrow.

Once I get it figured out I could offer some suggestions based on why I was confused. I may mention, I have used other software such as Norton Ghost, and seemed to get it straight there, just by reading the prompts.

Any help will be most appreciated!
Hello!, I try to explain concept of my script.
Selection P (set path for save/restore) is a preliminary operation for select where save or restore file image. This action is same for backup or save operation.
After this, (automatically started) is necessary select what you want to do.
In case of "save partition" (S), Source disk (and partitions) are what you want to save in destination image file (location of file was selected prior with P option)
In case of "restore partition" (I) destination disk and partition (target) are where you want to write new datas previously stored in image file.

first: -option P in all case for select where save or restore IMAGE file (.fsa),
then
-option B for backup a partition(s) to an image file
OR
-option R for restore a partitions from image (...source...) to a destination target.
if you want, take a look at my mini-web : http://zolli.altervista.org/fsa_dial/ in example of use section... (there isn't a guided image, but a simple text...) and a downladable iso of boot disk if you want to test...
I think my script will to be improved, in particular a gui is critical for keyboard input of files path.. but for me is no necessary change it in first test.... (use default!).
bye bye from Bologna-Italy... excuseme for bad english

RonC

Post by RonC » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:25 pm

zolli wrote:first: -option P in all case for select where save or restore IMAGE file (.fsa) ...
Ah! My mistake was in first using Menu selection S, for save to image. P should have been first, for selecting the path.
Thanks!